Monday, December 15, 2008

Remembering Anjang

I woke up in the middle of last night and my thought went to a dear long–departed uncle whom I called Anjang. I don’t know what brought him into my thought but I laid awake quite a long time thinking about him thereafter.

My mother came from a family of nine; six girls and three boys. Ajang was the fourth-born just before mother, and the second boy. He was always a ‘royalty’ of sort in our family, a handsome and imposing figure and with a raspy voice, used to take the initiatives for family gatherings, kenduri and ‘tahlils’ (special prayer for the deceased) for our departed grandparents. His words were law, his views and permission always sought. So special was he that every house of our family member had a framed photo of him and his wife. He looked regal in a short white jacket with medals.

Anjang served as private secretary to Almarhum Sultan Ibrahim and later Almarhum Sultan Ismail of Johor. He and his wife Datin Zaharah (Mak Anjang), and their two children lived in a grand, elegant Spanish-style villa with arches and a tower, and floors of shiny red tiles in the ground of the Istana Bukit Serene, the residence of the Sultan in Johor Bahru. For me it was always a treat to visit their house. I was always in awe of it and I enjoyed wandering in their beautiful garden as well. Once, mother refused to take me along for their monthly visit to Anjang for a mischief I did, and I actually walked all the way from our house in tears of protest to Anjang’s house, some 3-4 kilometres away and waited at the gate until Anjang’s driver found me and bought me in.

When he retired from the royal service he joined the Foreign Ministry and served in the Protocol Department and was later posted to Jeddah and then London. Later on he would serve in the Selangor Royal household as Grand Chamberlain to Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin Shah.

Between 1978–1980 Ajang was posted as Ambassador to Baghdad, Iraq. I was then stationed in Hanoi and almost visited him if it was not for a travelling companion’s failure to get a visa.

In 1982 Anjang and his wife together with my parents came to visit me in Rome. I took them to many places in Italy - Naples, Sorrento, Capri and then Florence, Venice and Pisa. Driving home from Pisa, he noticed I was short of gas and he urged me to tank up each time we passed a patrol station. But I was determined to tank up from a station of a particular brand. When I finally did, the tank was practically almost empty and a pale Anjang sighed a huge relief and said to me, 'R…., please don’t do that to me again!' He was so afraid we were going to get stranded without petrol on that busy Italian highway.

In 1984, the loyal foursome (Anjang and mother were particularly close, she called him Yem and she was Tun to him) went for the Umrah in Mekah and later the ziarah in Medina. I joined them from Rome. I remember Anjang always making a beeline to be nearest to the Kaabah at each prayer time and once, pulling me along he actually got us a place on the very first row right in front of the Kaabah. I can remember the perfumed waft of the attar oil coming from the Kaabah's shroud as we prayed side by side.

Later in a conversation Anjang said to me that Allah was so great and merciful He would always forgive me and grant me my wishes. All I had to do was pray for it. Simple wisdom but I remember it always.... Years later I would find that very dictum in the 60th verse of surah Al- Mu'minum of the Holy Quaran.

Dear Mak Anjang died a few years later while I was still in Rome; she and my cousin Yan did come to visit me again in that eternal city. An elegant woman and so worldly in her own way, I loved eavesdropping on her very articulate conversations with mother and gained so much insight about the going-ons in our big family. I wrote a letter to Anjang expressing my condolence, and paid tribute to the great woman who had complemented his life so very well for 44 years. I was told later by my cousin Na that Anjang was very touched by my letter.

Anjang was always trying to marry me off and once wrote that he had found a suitable candidate for me. All I needed to do was come home and claim my bride. He would arrange everything! I politely wrote him that I was capable of choosing a wife for myself. I remember my brother telling me how mother was totally against Anjang’s candidate for me! Well, I am sure his intention was good, bless him.

Anjang passed away in 1986 after a short illness. I was there with many of our family member at his hospital bed in the Kuala Lumpur General Hospital. He was buried in Johor Bahru and the enormous crowed that came to pay their last respect showed how well-liked and respected he was. He was the quintessential gentleman and diplomat.

As a child I was in awe of Anjang, he was an inspiration.

I am grateful that as an adult I had a rather special rapport with him. He was very supportive and encouraged me in my career. Till today I am sometimes known or referred to by some people who knew him (including the present Sultan and Sultanah of Johor) as 'anak saudara Dato Wan Rahim...( Dato Wan Rahim's nephew).

May Allah bless your soul always dear uncle, Allahyarham Dato’ Wan Rahim bin Wan Ngah, my Anjang.
Amin.

1 comment:

NanaDJ said...

Roem,
After all these years I still miss Anjang. We have always had a special relationship since I am more of Tok's daughter than grandaughter and he sort of treated me different from the other nieces.
I agree with you that he always carried himself well, a perfect gentleman with immaculate manners. An ideal diplomat in every sense. We can't find a person like him these days.
May Allah rahmati rohnya.