Monday, November 10, 2008

Lottery

A few days ago I read that someone in Malaysia had won a RM20 million lottery, the biggest ever in the country. No doubt that would drastically change his life, hopefully for the better, or could even be for the worse. Sometimes wealth brings about fear and a loss of freedom, strange as it may sound. Like the words in Kris Kristofferson's 'Me and Bobby McGee' - freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose...

I once won a lottery at a New Year's Eve party a long time ago. I actually won a 'one way' air ticket to somewhere, which was silly and a trap really, for surely I would have to buy the return ticket if I wanted to use the ticket won. So I traded the ticket for cash and with the money bought an antique 'famille verte' Chinese vase (in the photos) which till today I still marvel at.

The word 'lottery' has a special meaning for me. Once a long time ago, lamenting about the future, the fears and uncertainties, and frivolously wishing that I would win a huge lottery so that I would not be wanting in the future, a dear now-departed friend told me that in this lifetime I had already won my 'lottery' and that I need not fear as God will always look after me. He told me to just be myself, be good and honest, and believe that I had a special rapport with Him, and always be grateful to Him.

Looking back, I have indeed won a succession of 'lotteries' throughout my life, even till now. Indeed God is very kind and generous to me. But at what I then thought was the peak of my life, He put me through a great test with an unexpected health scare. I thought that was the end of my independence and all my previous good years, and wondered if there was anything left of the rest of my life.

But I survived. I passed His test and things got even better until now.

Thank you God, always.

And thank you my very dear departed friend for your sound advice.

May you rest in peace.... Non ti demintico.

No comments: