Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Jean-Luis Misar

A few months after my arrival here I met an artist on entering my office building. He had an atelier in the basement of the building. On finding out I was interested in paintings he invited me to visit his atelier. I told him I would gladly come in an hour or so after going through my desk.

A few minutes later he appeared in my office and insisted he accompany me to his atelier. He then noticed the paintings on my wall, among others, my own watercolour calligraphy of ‘Allah’ – always my favourite subject. He was so fascinated by them that he announced he wanted to do similar paintings and I should guide with the Arabic script.

That was the beginning of a friendship and collaboration with the 90 year old artist. Jean-Luis Misar had been painting all his life, going from one genre to another from the very conventional to the very modern and geometrical. He had even worked on some Hollywood and French films and would later show me his rich portfolios.

He then went on with such enthusiasm to make a painting of ‘Allah’, coming up with several prototypes and samples. I must confess to not being totally enamoured by his very exact and precise style of executing the painting but I encouraged him nevertheless. We finally decided on one which would be the final product and he said he would frame it and present it to my office.

When he presented me with the painting, he asked what I thought of the frame and I had to be honest and told him that I would have chosen a modern frame to suit the style of the painting. Obviously disappointed with my reaction Jean-Luis implored “but mon amie/mein bruder (my friend (in French), my brother (in German), I searched all over the city for a suitable frame as a mark of respect of your Islamic tradition!".

It’s amazing how, he with no English at all, and me with no French and a smattering of German, would somehow communicate!

Some time later I went to Istanbul for a holiday and was introduced to an owner of one of Istanbul ’s best–know art gallery. He asked if I could introduce him to an artist from where I came to do an exhibition in his gallery and I immediate thought of Jean-Luis.

A few weeks after my return I called Jean-Luis and his wife answered and said he was not well and she would call me when he was able to see me. She called a week later and said I could come to their house. On arrival she alerted me of what I was about to see. Dear Jean-Luis had become totally blind after a recent stroke. I was very sad.... How tragic for someone who had for the most part of his life been working with colours to now only see darkness. But he was so cheerful, positive and philosophical, hugging me and clasping my palms, endlessly calling me ' mon amie/mein bruder' . He was excited about the prospect of an exhibition in Istanbul when I broached the subject. He went on and on about the paintings he would still want to do based on music he was now listening to and the inspiration of his now total darkness. His wife only looked at me in anxiety...

I would later gave him some classical music CDs, invited him to my house for lunch from time to time, visited him and encouraged him as much as my time permitted. It was beginning to be hard to have a conversation with him as he would be repeating the same things again and again. And I could see that his condition was taking a toll an his wife who patiently and lovingly looked after him 24 hours a day.

Jean-Luis told me to go to his atelier and take any paintings I wanted for myself. Out of respect for his family, I only took one (he had already given to me one that very first day I visited the atelier and my choice too upon his insistence, and the painting of Allah). His paintings were clearly not cheap and hung in may corporate offices and buildings.

Some weeks later I met his wife outside the office building and I asked about Jean-Luis. She was surprised and asked if I did not receive the note she sent me a week before announcing his demise. I did not ……

Jean-Luis Misar, a short but beautiful chapter in my life. May you rest in peace.

To see his other paintings please see my Gallery Dindingmas at my art website :
http://ancoraobraz.net/collection/

No comments: