Saturday, November 14, 2009

Of wrist-slitting days and art auctions

After many days of what a friend described as 'wrist-slitting' weather (dark and grey, cold, wet and oh so depressive), the sun is finally out albeit it is so cold! It's mid November and there are still red and golden leaves in some trees in my garden. And my rose bush is still green, with many huge buds which will not open into full blooms as the weather is just too cold. Alain came yesterday and swept all the fallen leaves from the lawn. I actually like them on the ground though! He also put in hundred of tulip bulbs in the ground and they will come out in April. The boys are out - one for his 'bharata natyam' Indian classical dance class, and the other window-shopping or with his friends (I am never privy!). I will join Diana latter for an art auction - there are three paintings I want to bid for. Yesterday one of my paintings I put up for auction made 70% of the maximum price estimate! Not bad - I can now buy that gold Omega De Ville! I have had that painting for 21 years and there is no way I can hang it in my house when I am back in Malaysia due to its subject! Gunawan was with me at the auction and he could not get over that a small 14th century painting was sold at CH57,ooo (about RM175,000). I kept reminding him that it was from the 14th century and the maximum estimate price was actually CH90,000. So it was not such a good sale after all (not as good as my 70% at least)!

I invited four Malaysian officials attending a meeting here to dinner in my house last night and two did not show up and did not even have the courtesy to inform me! What is happening to manners among Malaysians? One of the guests who showed up, pleasant as he was, dressed so badly - in a short-sleeved collared t-shirt, wearing a 'kopiah' (white skull cap) on his head! And he was attending an international meeting! What signal/impression was he trying to make?

A friend from Holland arrives tomorrow for a short visit until I leave for Spain on Friday for a week's holiday to spend Hari Raya Haji with my friend there, and also to celebrate his birthday. He has lined up a good programme for me with visits to Salamanca, Toledo, Segovia and Valencia and I am looking forward to be away from future possible 'wrist-slitting' weather here!

My days in this wonderful country are numbered I guess. Soon it will be time to head home. So while I can I am going to travel as much as I can. December to Yemen with Fadzil, as I had promised him when he was badly recovering from his heart operation in February.

I hope I get those three paintings at the auction today!

1 comment:

shidah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.