Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Mushlim's House - Desa Paku

I had a chance to catch up with my friend Mush in Malacca yesterday. We spent two pleasant hours together and had a lot to talk about. The last time I visited his house with the lush tropical garden must have been six years ago. It is still lush and fascinating though rather overgrown. I had been privileged to see the house and its garden when it was first created in 1985 and had watched how Mush lovingly turned it into a tropical paradise and along the way made it a heliconia haven; he had one of the largest variety of heliconias in the world ! He is still today an active member of the international heliconia society having hosted some members from around the world to lunch a few weeks back. The place had also been visited by countless dignitaries international and local. It was also the set for the entire Rahim Razali film ABANG 92 which starred Deanna Yusof.

These days Mush is more spiritual and does not tend to the garden with the same energy he did before. He told me he had in fact given the property away and upon his demise the property will automatically belong to his beneficiary according to the Muslim 'hibah' tradition.

Mush gave me five young trees and palms for my new house when I left. It was indeed good and warm to see him again. God bless and keep you Mush.

No comments: