Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Morocco Revisited

I just spent five pleasant days in Morocco. It was my 3rd visit to that country, this time around mainly to accompany my brothers and their spouses. My colleague and host in Rabat was extremely generous and hospitable during our five night stay at his residence. Thank you dear friend.

We spent a day in Fes, another in Casablanca and two days in Marrakesh. Each place was a myriad of sights, colours, sounds and smells.

I particularly liked the scenic drive from Fes to Ifrane. The latter was the most orderly and western of Moroccan cities.

In Casablanca we had the opportunity to perform Friday prayer at the grand King Hassan II mosque and by some arrangement by our driver Tariq, we were given VIP treatment, my brothers and I even praying on the very first row (though I firmly believe that in congregational prayers, no one should have special treatment - we are all equal before Allah)!

We had a very pleasant time in Marrakesh and stayed at the lovely Meridian Hotel. We enjoyed the lively bazaars though I kept reminding my brothers and sisters-in-law to be prudent in their shopping! Anyway it was a lot of fun and they still came away with lots of goodies!
























I don't think I will be in a rush to return to Morocco a fourth time. The immigration clearance in Casablanca had to be the worst I have encountered in all my years of travels! Why can't they simplify things and better-facilitate their visitors, given the millions that come every year? And without prior notice Air Maroc cancelled our flight on 24 March and offered no excuse. Fortunately I opened my email and saw the announcement. So we flew back a day earlier and at a very inconvenient early morning flight and my family missed out on seeing Rabat!

And for the record, more than two months ago when I was booking our flight with Air Maroc, I was quoted one price for one ticket. Ten minutes later, having consulted my brothers about the date, I returned to the website and requested 5 seats and, whadaya know, the prices went up more than RM100 per ticket!!! In just 10 minutes!
Well I now have enough memories of Morocco for life.

No comments: