Saturday, May 8, 2010

Remembering mother

Beloved mother passed away some three and half years ago while I was still in Switzerland. I came home a day after the funeral and only managed to see her still-fresh grave and partake in the tahlils (recitation of prayers) the next few nights. I don't think a day ever passed without me thinking of mother and saying a prayer for her thereafter....

Mother died at the age of eighty six, in her own home, bedridden for some six years but still very much in command of her home and destiny, with the assistance and care of ever-loyal, patient and efficient Marti. I would go home and visit her once a month for a few days. I would sit by her bed and talk to her, tell her about things happening in the family, gently massage her forehead and the side of her head which she liked, or just sat there reading my books or papers, or texting my messages. She was happy to just have me around for that short period. She did not say much but would sometimes surprise me with remarks or questions about things from like twenty five years ago! I always made sure I bring her a gift, however small and insignificant and this pleased her very much and she showed it. And when it was time for me to leave she would insist that Mar prop her up on her bed so she could sit and watch me driving away from her bedroom window..... Always with a prayer for my well-being and safe delivery.

I miss mother very much but I am content with the belief that I had been a good son to her and had received her love and blessings till her very last day. In my young days I was rebellious and must have been difficult and tiresome as only a youngster could be. I was the last among my siblings to leave home at age 20 when I entered University as I was not allowed to go to boarding school (pampered last child everyone must have concluded!). I remember a rather difficult period when mother would find every fault with me and I would feel miserable, hurt and unloved and found solace only by pouring it all out in my diary! Years later I finally understood that it must have been a menopausal period for her and I was a sort of punching bag for all the anger and frustrations at things she did not understand happening to her then.

Mother was a strong person and was very much in command. It could not have been easy bringing up six children and being conveyor to father for all his siblings and relatives as father was the eldest remaining member of his family and he was not a man of many words. But mother handled it all well, and she was well-respected by father's relatives - they come to her for everything, and she would always make sure father settle whatever issue that was at hand! She was also financially savvy, we were never short of anything and our house was constantly filled with stay-in visiting relatives and there were plentiful food all the time. She was always doing some small businesses which augmented the family income, like making her famous 'halwa maskat' (which took four hours of laborious stirring over slow charcoal fire), and huge earthen pots of 'acar buah' (fruit chutney). I was often sent to deliver the orders to her customers and would get a tip for my errand! She taught me well - at the age of 11 when I was in Standard 5, she gave me a monthly allowance of RM5 and told me to manage it, no more daily pocket money henceforth. And I did, rather well too (to this day I must say), also thanks to the generosity of more independent elder siblings.

My beloved, dear mother was not necessarily easy, she had a strong mind of her own. She was extremely generous, always giving, and considerate and so perceptive, and very loving in ways I could not understand then as a youngster. It was thus such a sad development when at the later stage of her life she stopped being the active, commanding person that she was and became so totally dependent on others. I could write a book about mother, but the memories best remain in my thought.

Some years back, my three brothers and I visited an ustaz to get his advice what we could do to help lessen mother's suffering in her bed-ridden condition. At the end of of the consultation I asked the ustaz about a regular recurring dream I had. I often dreamt that mother hated me and would do things to hurt me and make me cry. The ustaz only smiled rather knowingly without saying anything, while two of my brothers rather in a fondly snickering tone said something to the effect that it was precisely because I was mother's favourite son, and that the meaning of dreams was always in the reverse. Only Allah knows!

May the Almighty Allah always bestows his blessings on my beloved mother and father. Amin.
I love you both always.....

10 comments:

NanaDJ said...

Roem,
A very nice and touching piece about your mom. I always remember her ever smiling face whenever we visited her. I managed to attend her funeral and I saw her a few months before she passed away. We always knew that you were her favourite. She has always been close to Chu and I guess that is why we the older ones are always closer to you and brothers other than the other cousins (except for Nim who is almost a sister to us).
Alfatehah to her.
For me who is blessed with three mothers, Tok, Mak Ah and Chu, I will always miss Tok and Mak Ah, alhamdulillah Chu is still healthy and I tried to see her as much as I can.

airmataemas said...

Thank you Na. Yes I remember quite often visiting your house in Larkin with my parents usually at night, mother and Chu always had many things to talk about. Syukur Chu is well and healthy, I love and admire her tranquility. God bless her too. Happy Mother's Day.

wkm said...

Salam. Remember very well when I was small, I used to accompany my parents to pay Arwah Cik Ngah a visit in Nong Chik,... the house with a huge lawn!!! Sometimes in return your Mom & Dad will visit my parents at Jln Bilal Mahmood. Al Fatihah.... Semoga Allah tempatkan arwah Cik Ngah & Pak Ngah di sisi org2 solleh, illiyin & sidiqqin. Amin...( KT AYAH MAD)

airmataemas said...

Thank you Khaty. Semoga Allah sentiasa memberkati Allahyarham Ayah Mad dan Allahyarhamah Mak Ngah, Amin. BTW, your mum's 'halwa maskat' was also a competitor to my mother's, hehe!

akumangkok said...

This is a great piece of writing! I love it cos u expressed it so well.
U gave us (people who know not of u and ur family personally) a well rounded picture of someone so dear to u.
Your love for her comes thru yet it is not a writing overfused with mushy love.
You gave definition this wonderful lady who lived thru a time before us; and in those few paragraphs you gave my mind's eye a view of a strong character who in later life was confined to her bed.
Know what? The response from ur relatives' comments indicates that she loves you so much too!
Lucky you!
J

airmataemas said...

Thank you J. Yes I am extremely fortunate to have had both parents. I would not have been who and where I am today if it was not for their love and blessings. I wish you a great and blessed family life too. Salam

Unknown said...

God bless all mothers (and fathers)... especially those in heaven.

wkm said...

thnx! that's an honour to my late mom. Nowadays,it's difficult to find halwa maskat that taste as good as their's.

ANDY: Pop Music Not Pills. © said...

Hi Roem,
Beautiful piece about your mum. You write well indeed.

How are you? Wrote to you on your KD videos but managed to find your blog again. Since Oct '09 I have not kept in touch.

Was looking to write about KD and realised that you are the one to consult.

Could you write one on KD for the blog? I have highlighted your blog and postings on mine today.

Cheers.

airmataemas said...

Thanks Andy, I have read your write up on KD. And I have in fact already written a substantial article on her in my Oct 08 entry. It is indeed one of the most read article in my blog. Regards.