Monday, January 25, 2010

Sunday Outing - Geneva, Evian & Montreux - and of representing Johor.

I woke up to a bright sunny day. However, just after a few minutes drive from my house it was misty and grey most of the two-hours drive to Geneva where my friend and colleague honoured with a farewell lunch. His entire staff was there with their families.It was a very pleasant occasion with good food and a warm and cordial atmosphere. The dozen plus children were oblivious to the cold and had a rousing time playing on the veranda overlooking Lake Geneva. For the ride home I decided to have a final drive through France, whose nearest border was just a short distance from the house. It was a pleasant drive through quaint villages and finally through the beautiful city of Evian facing the lake. I saw some people queuing to collect water from an old fountain. If they only knew how much Evian water costs in Malaysia. It was already dark when we reentered Switzerland near Montreux and drove through the well-lit, glittering beautiful lakeside city. I always like Montreux especially in Summer when the lakeside promenade is so beautifully coloured by masses of many variety of flowers, and the clear blue water of Lake Le Man framed the view of France on its other side. I had many smses throughout my drive. Idah called from London to bid me a good journey home and a promise to meet up in JB in April. She and hubby Alam alternate living with their daughters in UK and Holland, and after April hopes to follow the family in Holland to Saudi Arabia where son-in-law is being assigned. Little Aidan will have to get used to the heat!

And of heat, Hoong Po smsd from Canberra also to bid me a good trip home, complaining it was 36 degrees Centigrade there. A similar farewell message from Fawzia in Copenhagen. Ah Yong smsd to thank me for a book I bought her and to remind me of the two Raphael Scott Ahbeng's paintings she had asked me to acquire.

Nephews Amat and Chen both smsd that their father (my dearest departed sister's husband) was not well and was admitted in hospital in Kemaman. Another fried smsd that his mother is finally out of hospital and asked me to say a prayer for her. Surely!

My young charge smsd me my new mobile number he had registered for me in Malaysia. Also to informed that he and my brother Wes and wife had cleaned up and spruced my house in KL (which had been vacant for six months), now all ready for me to reoccupy.

Cousin Wan J smsd that our family's 'Family Day' (in honour of our long-departed grandparents)in JB scheduled for 15 February would now be postponed due to the recent demise of Almarhum Sultan Iskandar (may Allah SWT bestows all blessings upon his soul). I will never forget what Almarhum told me when I paid my courtesy on him (mengadap) before my last two overseas assignments - that I was not to just be representing Malaysia, BUT also Johor!

Another four days and I am in motherland, Insha Allah!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have a safe and pleasant journey back home.
God bless.