Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An afternoon with Roger Federer

A Swiss company with an operation in Penang, of which Roger Federer is its ambassador, invited me to an afternoon with the world tennis champion today. Federer arrived in a white Rolls Royce and spent an hour talking to some 200 specially-selected fans about himself and his career. He spoke in Swiss-German and I only got glimpses of his story through my friend Heinz.

I declined to stay on for the photo, autograph-signing and mingling session though. The General Manager's wife promised to get me a personal autograph from Federer. Heinz stayed back to get autographs for the many people who had asked him to.

Federer came across as very friendly, modest and charming; probably rare qualities in world-class personalities of his stature. I may yet meet him up-front one day - I have a bet with my colleague in Madrid who gets to personally meet the current tennis champions, Fedrerer and Spanish Rafael Nadal, first. At the moment I am leading I think...

2 comments:

randhir said...

Yusof, It appears you had a great day for Hari Raya and your'Johor Laksa'. You lucky guy, meeting up with Federer--what else is 'written in your Stars'---hope you find time to create more Paintings---it seems you have become really creative---it may come with 'solitude'---but I recall you were always imaginative. Great the Art Exhibit went ahead--and your Painting was there in such a prestigious place. Thanks for making reference to my Poetry--I appreciate it,Thanks,Regards, have a pleasant day,Randhir

NanaDJ said...

Roem,
I am a big fan of Federer and was greatly disappointed when he lost the US Open. He is such a gentleman and such a graceful player. Managed to watch him play in Malaysia for the past two years although both were exhibition matches. Envy you, would have love to have a photo of you with Federer.