Friday, August 21, 2009

Art Exhibition - TAMPANNYA BUDI/The Beauty of the Malay Intellect

Our former Prime Minister The Honourable Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad had just awhile ago officiated an art exhibition in the Balai Seni Lukis Negara/National Art Gallery entitled TAMPANNYA BUDI/The Beauty of the Malay Intellect. I am extremely honoured that my painting below was selected to be exhibited as well, together with works of well-established Malaysian artists.
I was requested to accompany my painting with a traditional Malay pantun, which I had some difficulty with as my painting was abstract. Anyway, with the help of a friend I came up with the pantuns. But I have to confess that that the pantuns do not really reflect what I feel for my painting. What is a true reflection of the painting is poetry below which my dear friend Randhir in Melbourne composed after seeing the painting, with some editing by me. Thanks Randy, I absolutely love it!Heaven opens its door but for a moment
Lo a swirling of colours
blending in a spectrum,
of vividness beyond imagination
It is my gift,
from whence you know not where,
and for now you know not why...
In this brief moment,
a gift descends for all mankind
Here are your colours,
transform them if you can....
In the east, the sun is rising,
the clouds rise in a thinner mist,
and seem to touch the very sun,
that dominates over all my creation,
moving across your domain,
painting your world in forms beyond comprehension...
I am the Maker!
I gave you the palette a million years before.
I gave you the blues of the oceans,
the greens of your forests,
and textured your landscapes in ways
you can never dream of
I gave regal roses for manicured gardens,
that stand proud and adored,
Clusters of lavenders that cover your valleys in purple haze
Golden marigolds and simple daisies of the meadows
I brighten the end of your Winter
with the splendour of a daffodil show
I give you mystical orchids that hide in forests shadows,
in forms elusive, that sprays your senses with perfumes wild.
Here from my heavens,
a gift!
A myriad burst of colours...
See what you can form or find
Do with them what you can,
but never will they be like mine!

5 comments:

qirzah said...

Sir, I remember once you asked my honest opinion on a painting. I told you my honest opinion, and since then, I've been labeled a "Smart Alec".

Well, THIS Smart Alec thinks that the painting chosen to be included in the exhibition is beautifully done. I especially like how each color stands out on its own, and yet blends well with the others - some creating an amalgam of another color.

Kudos to you, sir.

airmataemas said...

Thank you very much young man!I am sure you are now more exposed and have more/bigger opinions. So let it be. Hope you are well. Selamat berpuasa and have a blessed Ramadhhan

randhir said...

Hi,Yusof, Your painting with its vibrant colours deserves its place in the exhibition. Thanks for including my Poetry in the Blog with you painting,Randhir

randhir said...

Yusof, Your Painting with its vibrant colours deserves its place in the exhibition. Thanks for including my Poetry in your Blog,Regards,Randhir

Hjh Hayley said...

Yes, I like both the painting and the poem that goes with it. So apt and uplifting. Alas I've never tried my hands at writing poetry. Tak de talent pun.

I received an invitation to the opening. I guess it was your doing. But I just couldn't make it, no driver for one thing, and I just had to go to shah alam at the time with my daughter and grandsons and visit my mum's pusara as well. But I'll go and see the painting before the exhibition ends.

Congratulations, Roem and salam ramadan.

Lim