Monday, July 6, 2009

Singapore Revisited

Over the recent weekend I made a one and a half day stopover in Singapore after two hectic but fulfilling weeks in Malaysia. I have not been Singapore in maybe a dozen years and it was nice to be there again.

Singapore overwhelms you - the shops, the restaurants and food outlets, the crowd (very young), the greenery and manicured landscapes, the orderliness and tidiness, the polite and friendly services, and how absolutely everything works!
My dear old friend Sze Tho came all the way from JB to join me and together we went to Bugis Street (which was nothing of what it used to be in the 60s and 70s) and Arab Street, our favourite haunt of those years gone by, where I bought a dozen beautiful Indonesian batiks (they were probably cheaper there than in Indonesia!).
Growing up in JB in the 60s, I found Singapore an escape from the monotony of a limited and stifling small town and in some ways it inspired me to reach out to the rest of the world. I would save up my pocket money and once a month would take that one hour bus ride to Singapore and really enjoy the then already big city. Well it's even bigger, glossier and grander today. But I do not think I would now stand more than a few days' stay. But I was really very glad I made the visit to Singapore.....

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome back !!!
I am sure you had a wonderful time in Malaysia and in Singapore and enjoyed the company of Mr. Sze Tho, do please send my regards to him.
I want to go back to Lima again but I guess it will have to wait as we are probably visiting Keith's family in Texas this summer. We'll see...
Have a good rest of the week !
R.

airmataemas said...

Thanks Rossana. Am still jet lagged! Funny weather here too...

T said...

Oh the memories of Singapore to where I first went in 1971 and much has changed now. I stayed in Malcolm Road and the house is still there it was once occupied by the Chief Justice whom I visited in the early '90's. I hope you are well and rested and that the KL meetings went off well I hope you celebrated with the French and all that is French on 14th Warmest wishes, Tony E

airmataemas said...

Thanks Tony.I am well,so many engagements here and it's supposed to be the July summer break. Only wish the weather would be consistent! Yes I was at the French, all 15 minutes of it!