Monday, July 27, 2009

Farewell to thee Yasmin Ahmad (1958-2009)

Yasmin Ahmad passed away on 25 July 2009 after suffering a stroke. Al-Fatihah …….

What a loss for Malaysians and for the Malaysian film industry particular.

Yasmin’s sudden departure at 51, when she had so much to live for and so much more to give, was a renewed jolt for me of how brittle life can be...

I first met Yasmin in 2003 at a launch of one of Mercy Malaysia’s new project by Datuk Dr. Jamilah Mahmood (now Tan Sri ). We sat at the same table and I remember her introducing herself when I joined the table.

I had known of Yasmin through my dear friend and former housemate Ali Mohammed. They were both working at Leo Burnett, and Ali used to tell me about their antics at work. And of course I had seen and enjoyed Yasmin’s creative works through her famous commercials for Petronas etc, especially for the Hari Raya and other festive occasions.

When her first feature film Rabun had its premiere at the Dewan Bahasa Auditorium I attended it. Yasmin was there too and made an opening remark.

When she won the Grand Prix for Best Feature Film and Special Mention of the Generation Award at The Berlin Film Festival 2007 for ‘Mukhsin’, and a string of awards for the precious ‘Tan Hong Ming in love’ commercial, I smsd her my congratulations and asked if she could send me the vcd of ‘Tan Hong Ming’ to be shown at my reception which she obligingly did.

‘Mukhsin’ was also chosen as the closing film for the Fribourg Film Festival. I attended the showing with a large group of Malaysians including students who had come all the way from Stuttgart and Munich. It was a full-house and many people were turned away as they were no more tickets left. I smsd Yasmin that there was a rapturous applause at the end of the film and she was pleased.

Last year “Muallaf” was invited to the Locarno Film Festival and I was invited to its premiere . Unfortunately on the same day I had an official engagement in Liechtenstein and it was just too much effort to dash off from Vaduz to Locarno (some 3 hours drive) to catch the showing. Yasmin had earlier on smsd me (jokingly) if I could find sponsors for the two young actors of the film to attend the Festival. She could not as she was shooting Talentime at that time

Later, in October when I went back to Kuala Lumpur for a short holiday I stayed at a friend’s apartment in the same building where Yasmin lived. I met her one day at the guard house and we had a chat. She was philosophical about ‘Muallaf’ not being able to be screened in Malaysia. I asked her if I could have a dvd copy of the film and she said she did not own the right to it anymore. She invited me to a private preview of ‘Talentime’ the following week but I was going home in a few days time already.

I am grateful to have this small rapport with this beautiful and talented person, Yasmin Ahmad. She loved our country and its diversity so much and wanted to give as much back. But to quote a line from one of her movies, ' how do you love something so much that does not love you back...'.

By all means she was a very friendly and modest person with no airs. I have yet to see ‘Muallaf’ and ‘Talentime’ but I think ‘Sepet’ will always remain my favourite film of hers, and all those funny and heart-warming/wrenching commercials of hers.

Yasmin Ahmad, rest-assured you will be much-missed and long-remembered.
May Allah S.W.T. bestow His abundant blessings upon you. Amin

Note: Mercy Malaysia will soon be launching 'The Mercy Malaysia-Yasmin Ahmad Children Fund', an initiative of the outgoing head of Mercy Malaysia Tan Sri Dr Jemilah Mahmood who was Yasmin's best friend in memory of Yasmin's love for children.

2 comments:

NanaDJ said...

Roem, I feel so sad that such talented person is now gone. I admired her very much and regretted not introducing myself to her at Talentime's premier. You will enjoy Talentime, the messages are very subtle. We all shed tears at the end of the movie.
Although I was feeling down, I did not cry for her until I read Azean's dedication to her and after that the dam burst...May Allah berkati and rahmatinya.

airmataemas said...

Thanks Na. A great loss indeed. I get teary eyed too reading all the things written about her recently. I hope I can get dvds of 'Muallaf' and 'Talentime'. Salam , hope you are keeping well.