Friday, May 1, 2009

First of May

When I was small, and Christmas trees were tall,
We used to love while others used to play.
Don't ask me why, but time has passed us by,
Someone else moved in from far away.

Now we are tall, and Christmas trees are small,
And you don't ask the time of day.
But you and I, our love will never die,
But guess who'll cry come first of may.

I am so tempted to search my Bee Gees CD and play one of the track I like most 'First of May'! The song was first released as a single in 1969 and forty years down, it still sometimes make my hair stand listening to it.

I should be on the road on my way to Berlin today but circumstances had changed it. Just as well as my colleague in Frankfurt warned that the roads will be full with the long weekend travellers that a normal 5 hour drive from Frankfurt two Berlin could take double the time! The original plan was to drive to Frankfurt after work yesterday, spend the night and drive to Berlin today to attend a wedding tomorrow. Well that is not to be.

Last year today, together with my brother Wes, his wife and cousin Wan, we drove from Milan to Rome with a stop-over in Florence. We drove to Milan the night before and spent the night there. We started our journey again very early next day but the road was chock-a-block with traffic and we were practically crawling all the way to Florence where we made a two hours stop. Fortunately our drive from Florence to Rome was more free and easy and we arrived in Rome just after 5pm.

We had a pleasant 3-night stay in Rome. There were hordes of tourists everywhere we went.
And it was the same when we stopped in Venice on our back. Still we had a good time all the same.

So this year's long May Day weekend will see me pottering in the house. A visit to an art exhibition opening later today followed by dinner with a friend. On Sunday I will take a drive to Geneva for a barbecue lunch. Hopefully the weather will be good.

My house guests from Holland who had stayed with me since Saturday and drove down to Italy on Tuesday will no doubt be happy to find me home when they return tomorrow evening to break their journey before driving back to Holland on Sunday!

No comments: