Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Boy from Brazil

I had the privilege to live in South America for over three years from 1999 to 2002. I found the experience very interesting, rewarding and enjoyable though I was and am always sad and disturbed by the history of Latin America. Just watch the movie “The Mission’ or read about what the colonials did to the lnca civilisation and you will understand what I mean. I once had a rather emotional argument with my Mexican friend Armando over the colonization of Latin America!

I have a lot of empathy with the Peruvians, the people of my host country. The country is so rich with both human and natural resources and so diverse in its geography; it should be a very rich and developed nation (it had been referred to as 'a poor man sitting on a pot of gold'). But there is such a large gap between the majority poor and the minority rich, and there is hardly any middle class.

I will write about Peru another time.

During the three years, I managed to visit several Latin American countries – Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Columbia and Mexico. I really wanted to visit Cuba but by the time I planned it I had health problems and soon enough had to return to Malaysia. Today South America seem so far away and I am hesitant to make such a long flight there. But if I have just one more chance to visit one destination in that continent I will choose Brazil In May 2002, I went on a week’s holiday to Brazil, five days in Rio de Janeiro and two days in Sao Paulo . It was a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable experience. I had originally arranged to go during the carnival period in February. The tour agent had warned me that prices could increase without notice due to the heavy demand. Well, after the unreasonable 3rd increase I cancelled the trip. Anyway, much was said about how inconvenient and troublesome it was to be in Rio during the carnival.

So I went in May instead. I was alone and joined a couple of tours but for the rest went about on my own. I was pleasantly surprised to find how safe it was, how easy the pace of things, how relaxed, friendly and accomodating the people were, and what lovely food, especially seafood I could avail myself to. I guess the plus side was also that I was always assumed to be a Latino. And with my smattering of Spanish I got around well enough.

Rio was exciting and alive, especially along the Copacabana beach, even at 2 am in the morning. There were always people there – enjoying the outdoor atmosphere, exercising and just showing off their bodies – both the men and women. Body-beautiful is religion in Rio !

Sao Paulo seemed intimidating from reports and photos but I found it pleasant, bustling and exciting as well. I had absolutely no problem going around on my own, even in taxis.

The people of Brazil had to be some of the most beautiful and of interesting genetic combination you will come across. You see people of dark skin and curly hair with blue eyes (the photos are of a young boy who was in my boat cruise around Rio). And you see some dazzling blonds as well. Beauty too is religion in that country, so the peoplee are also a feast for the eyes.

I did see a mock up of the carnival in a theatrical presentation and it was as kitsch as can be. So just as well I gave the real thing a miss. Years ago I saw the film 'Orfeu Negro' set against the carnival in Rio and from which the famous song 'Manha de Carnival' originated. The film was made in 1959 and I am pretty sure half a century later today, Rio's carnival has not lost its intensity.

No comments: