Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Of stress, black tie, Fini and Penang!

What a day! I thought I was really work stressed-out. But at six pm my young charge called and said he was so stressed-out with his work he wished he could run to me for assurance! See how when you think you have it so bad, someone else have it worse!
A long, slow traffic crawl to the Swiss residence for their National Day reception and I stayed like 20 minutes and I left after gulping down some raw salads and apple juice. Sorry Urs, I prefer a quieter dinner with you some time!

At home, I spent some time searching for my black bow ties for tomorrow night's black tie dinner (why can't we just wear batik lah!). Called up Din and he agreed to loan me his, thank God for that. Now I can rest my mind with a a bit of blogging.

******************************
My Swiss friend from Zurich, Marion, with daughter Fini who are here for their annual visit for summer vacation came to my office and we had lunch at the cafe. They wanted everything on the buffet table and loved everything. Fini didn't like the tapai ubi though! She had blossomed into one amazing beauty and would I am sure sweep the crown at any beauty pageant and give a very tough competition with Scarlett Johannson. Her father is Balinese and with Marion's chiseled features, gave her a distinct exotic beauty.
They brought me six bars of my favourite Swiss chocolates - yummy!

*************************************
Over the weekend I had a very pleasant one day stay in Penang. Haven't been there like in ten years and upon entering my hotel room in Batu Ferringhi with the stunning view I realised just how long it had been since I saw the sea. Must have been last in Eastbourne, England on new year's day this year.
Despite its rapid development, Penang still had plenty of charm. I love the shady drive along the majestic tree-lined roads passing many magnificent old mansions and buildings. The older town centre were charmingly quaint and I found some beautiful traditional block-printed batiks and walked away with five shirts!!

The next day a short visit to Sungai Pattani where I had lunch in an old-fashioned colonial club. Lovely fish curry! Then onwards to Alor Star where I checked into a rather non-descript Holiday Villa. Did not have much chance to see the town and by six pm I was on the road again to Kangar for an official function. It was a very loud affair (why does everything have to be so deafening load in Malaysia?) that gave my heart palpitations despite stuffing my ears with tissue papers. I left after two hours and made my way back to Alor Star to catch the early morning flight back to KL.

It was my very first vist to Alor Star and Kangar and may probably be my last too.
Coming weekend to Kuching. Alas not my favourite town either!

No comments: