Friday, December 4, 2009

"Like the Moon and the Sun" - 10 Days in Spain

I spent ten pleasant days in Spain recently. It was my fourth visit to that country, the first in 1983 to Madrid and Barcelona, 2008 to Granada, Cordoba and Seville (Andalusia), February this year to Alicante, Torraviajo and Cartagena. This time around I covered quite a range within that ten days. Spain had developed by leaps and bounds since joining the EU and the prosperity was very apparent (though recently affected by the current economic downturn). Its diverse attractions drew some 60 million visitors in 2007.

On the second day, as I was walking the scenic streets of Toledo, I heard beautiful music from an instrument I could not make out. Walking on I came across the source, a beautiful lady playing an unfamiliar musical instrument. I stopped to listen to her and was enthralled enough to buy a CD of her music which she was also selling. The beautiful musician was Ana Alcaide and her music was Sephardic-inspired. And the instrument she was playing was the viola de techlas or ‘nyckelharpa which originated from Sweden.

My ten days in Spain is briefly complied in the video I have made below from photographs I took, and using Ana Alcaide’s lovely music which I feel had captured the mood of the places I visited! The title of this post 'Like the Moon and the Sun' is a translation of the name of her CD I bought -'Como la Luna y el Sol'.
See video : http://youtu.be/YnMySFpZRTQ

No comments: